Woods & Wetlands Group
Outings Leader Program
W&W Outings Needs Your Leadership and Help
The Sierra Club began as a few people who found the magnificent wilderness
areas they loved threatened by deforestation. They decided to win protection
for it by showing others its
beauty. W&W continues that proud tradition
with hikes to special places. Sierra Club group outings provide low-cost
environmental experiences intended to help participants appreciate the
extraordinarily bountiful natural environment in which we live.
The Woods & Wetlands Group Executive Committee approves group Outings
Leaders. Qualified volunteer leaders organize and run all outings, and must be
appropriately prepared. Leaders are in charge of both pre-trip planning and
decisions during the outing itself. Leadership skills are essential to engage
the cooperation of all participants in making the outing a well run and
enjoyable event. A qualified Sierra Club W&W Outing leader must first obtain
experience as an assistant leader, and then complete and maintain leadership
training and requirements:
- All leaders and assistant leaders must be Sierra Club members.
- Leaders and assistant leaders must have an interest in sharing outdoor
interests and skills with trip participants. Current types of acceptable
outings include: canoeing, biking, hiking, backpacking, orienteering, birding,
cross-country skiing, educational clinics, stewardship and clean-up events.
- Assistant leaders qualify for approval as a leader after assisting on at
least two outings with an experienced Sierra Club leader to learn
organizational and outdoor skills, and provisionally leading one of them. It is best if the potential leaders assist
in the type of outings that they intend to lead to learn to screen
participants for appropriate skill level and negotiate with outfitters who
provide trip facilities (such as canoe equipment or campgrounds).
- Assistant leaders must also attend a leadership training class that covers
safety, tips for running a successful outing, and understanding Sierra Club
policies. At least one training session is scheduled and advertised in
the Chapter outings publication each year.
- Leaders must review the leadership training materials published on the
Sierra Club extranet, and submit evidence of their review to the Group Outings
Chair once every three years.
- Leaders must maintain personal First Aid certification, which must be
renewed every three years. First Aid training is usually offered annually
through one or more of the local outing groups at a discount to Sierra Club
- Leaders must be prepared to apply First Aid and carry an appropriate first
- Qualified leaders will be given access to submit outings on the Sierrans
Outdoors website, where they can be approved by the Group Outings Chair.
- Leaders must require participants to sign a waiver prior to the start of a
trip. The sign-in waiver form (PDF format - Word Format), along with trip fees
must be sent to the outing chair.
- Leaders must annually attend at least one Outings Committee meetings and
one meeting of another Group committee to help integrate the Outings Program
into the success of the W&W Group.
The W&W Outing Committee welcomes Helper members willing to help us conduct more outings by helping with
organization and logistics. We also welcome new Assistant Leaders interested in helping leaders and/or gaining the experience to lead trips
themselves. If you would like more information or are ready to volunteer on
outings with the W&W Group, contact Outings Chair, Evan Craig, at 847-680-6437
or email@example.com .
Back to Woods & Wetlands Outings